Feeling worn out with these big changes going on in the world and how you can stay well through it all?
You aren’t alone!
One way to amp up your immune system is by sleeping. When we sleep our bodies are doing three things: (1) resetting, (2) re-energizing, and (3) repairing.
It’s not all about how much sleep we get, it is about the quality of sleep as well. The best hours for your body to repair are between 10pm-2am. When we sleep, our body releases proteins that help combat infection, irritation, and inflammation.
So, the old saying, ‘early to bed, early to rise, makes a man healthy, wealthy and wise’, isn’t too far off.
Tip and challenges to get your sleep on track:
1) Stop eating 3 hours before bedtime. Our body wants to repair while they sleep, not use their energy to digest food in the night.
2) Reduce Blue Light exposure. Electronics emit blue light. Try to turn all devices and even the TV off for an hour or two before you go to bed.
3) Journal. Write things you’re grateful for, write what you’re worried about, write down things you need to do tomorrow so it’s not rumbling around in your mind.
4) Darken your room. Try to eliminate all light in your room when you are sleeping. Lack of light signals the brain to sleep.
5) Use meditation. This Yoga Nidra Meditation is awesome! I am always fast asleep before it ends.
6) Use a white noise app. Some times it's nice to have ocean or rain sounds to fall asleep to!. When we sleep, our body releases proteins that help combat infection, irritation, and inflammation.